Brunch So Hard
Kick start your morning with our Chocolate Milk + Stout Pancakes!
Spike Your Pancakes With The Good Stuff
This is Chef Ryan’s boozy take on traditional pancakes using two of our favourite things in this world: beer and chocolate milk. Our team at LC LOVES pancakes for breakfast, and even though they can be a little naughty and unhealthy, we agree this killer dish is totally worth the food coma. The fruit also makes it a wee bit healthier, right?!
Chocolate Milk & Stout Pancakes
2 ¾ cups A/P flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup chocolate milk
½ can stout (drink the other half, it’ll do you good)
½ cup unsalted butter, melted plus extra for frying
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the chocolate milk and stout.
- Using a spatula, combine the dry and wet ingredients to make a thick, lumpy batter, taking care not to over mix.
- Carefully fold in melted butter.
- In a nonstick skillet, melt some butter over medium-high heat.
- Ladle ⅓ cup of batter into the hot skillet (allow space between pancakes because they will expand and puff up).
- When bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes and the edges begin to brown, flip pancakes and cook the other side, about 2-3 minutes per side. Continue to do this until all the batter has been used.
Caramelized Oranges & Citrus Mascarpone
¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp butter
1 cup maple syrup (more if you desire)
1 cup mascarpone cheese
- Zest the oranges and mix the zest with mascarpone cheese. Set aside.
- Segment oranges.
- In a pan, melt the sugar and cook until light brown in colour, around 160C.
- When ready, add your butter and oranges. Pull off the stovetop and stir.
- When the butter is incorporated nicely, add maple syrup and pull off the stove to cool.
To assemble the final dish, stack the pancakes high, and add the caramelized oranges on top and around. Dust with icing sugar. Heap a dollop of the mascarpone on top, or serve it on the side so that you can help yourself!